Cal City GP

Started by Richie Wohlers, March 24, 2005, 01:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie Wohlers

Danny, tell us about the Cal City GP.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009
Prez. 2007-2011 (Then road cross worker for life)

Danny L

FAST! FAST! FAST!

I think I used third gear one time on the first lap, then it was fourth and fifth the whole race.  My average speed (according to results) 39.2mph.  The race started on a dirt/asphalt rode and went straight for what seemed about three miles, then made a left and went down a fast quad track that did get whooped out a little toward the end of the race.  It was basically laid out in a square.  9 miles in length and two hour race.  It was a little on the fun side since I'd never done a race that fast, but wished it was a little more technical.

I did talk to Lou Peralta after the race and he said he'll be trying to change things up a bit for next months race.  He is limited on what terrain he can use.  The turn out was not that great.  Only about 50 riders, but I thought it was cool that Chris Blais came out and spanked us all.  I placed 17th overall in my first race as a novice.  That Bill Maxim guy can haul but!!  So does Dal Trubey!

He plans on having a few night races in the summer also.  Kind of cool.  There were finisher pins given out which I think was nice.  I really like the two hour race format better than the 45 min Big 6 GPs.  If he can get some better terrain, I'd be just like the old GPs.  My KX500 barely had a drop in it at the end of two hours.  Might need to think about refueling next time.  :roll:
Danny Lesovsky
KX500

Richie Wohlers

What was the entry fee?

I like that he actually puts out the checkered flag at exactly 2 hours, regardless of who is coming through at the 2 hour mark.  That way, everybody gets at least a 2 hour race.  Maybe we should operate Euros like that.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009
Prez. 2007-2011 (Then road cross worker for life)

Danny L

Entry fee was $38.  :)
Danny Lesovsky
KX500