D37 Message Board

Started by Richie Wohlers, March 04, 2005, 03:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie Wohlers

I don't know much.  Jeff told me that Thomas is upgrading the software to version 2.0.13 (which I need to do here).  But that project shouldn't take that long, so I'm not sure what the hangup is.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009
Prez. 2007-2011 (Then road cross worker for life)

pdt

Well you know/knew more than I did, thanks for the info...

RElmo

Richie, have you heard any more info on the District board ?

From what it looks like, it seems to be jacked up pretty good.
Dez ~ R501
G.P. ~ E5  ~ R67

Richie Wohlers

I think Thomas tried to upgrade to the latest version, and looks like the message database got jacked up in the process somehow.

I'm really not sure life is worth going on without it.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009

Richie Wohlers

I got this e-mail from Jeff:

Hi All

I just wanted you all to know Thomas and I are working on getting the
message board back to "normal" Thomas has done a great job getting the
software updated. I'm doing my best to figure out why the board is doing
strange things ( not remembering log in, the date issue and the debug issue
when posting a message)

We thank you for your patience. Please pass the word on to anyone that might
email you with concerns about the status of the board.

Jeff

Jeff Owen
District 37 webmaster
mailto:webmaster@district37ama.org">webmaster@district37ama.org
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009

Anonymous

Quote from: "Richie Wohlers"I don't know much.  Jeff told me that Thomas is upgrading the software to version 2.0.13 (which I need to do here).  But that project shouldn't take that long, so I'm not sure what the hangup is.

Can you find out if they did a back up of the database before doing the update. If you can send me the .sql file I'll set up the message board on the hilltopper sever until Jeff and Thomas figure what to do. This may give them an idea of where the problems lie...OE  :D

Richie Wohlers

It sounds like Jeff had a back up from March 3.

What's your e-mail address?
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009

Richie Wohlers

I am starting to wonder if we should get a commercial message board software.  phpBB is free.  Maybe something we pay for would be a little more stable.  These crashes suck.  We may have enough track to warrant it.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009

Anonymous

Quote from: "Danny"
Quote from: "Richie Wohlers"I don't know much.  Jeff told me that Thomas is upgrading the software to version 2.0.13 (which I need to do here).  But that project shouldn't take that long, so I'm not sure what the hangup is.

Can you find out if they did a back up of the database before doing the update. If you can send me the .sql file I'll set up the message board on the hilltopper sever until Jeff and Thomas figure what to do. This may give them an idea of where the problems lie...OE  :D

If anything they can roll back the message board to the last back-up instead of starting over from the beginning.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Anonymous"

If anything they can roll back the message board to the last back-up instead of starting over from the beginning.

Sorry, that was me.

stinkbug v131x

Anonymous

Quote from: "Richie Wohlers"It sounds like Jeff had a back up from March 3.

What's your e-mail address?

mailto:danny@hilltoppersmc.com">danny@hilltoppersmc.com

Anonymous

Quote from: "Richie Wohlers"I am starting to wonder if we should get a commercial message board software.  phpBB is free.  Maybe something we pay for would be a little more stable.  These crashes suck.  We may have enough track to warrant it.

Most of the problems have been self inflicted. The problem is the source code is open-source so knuckleheads come up with all sorts of malicious tweaks. Since everyone is paranoid about a board hack they are constantly updating the software and running into problems after the update or tweaking. Best thing to do is leave it alone, back up the database and reload the message board if its hacked. I update the hilltoppers message board by changing the source code instead of reloading an update. Seems to have worked for me so far.

Richie Wohlers

Quote from: "Richie Wohlers"I am starting to wonder if we should get a commercial message board software.  phpBB is free.  Maybe something we pay for would be a little more stable.  These crashes suck.  We may have enough track to warrant it.

Most of the problems have been self inflicted. The problem is the source code is open-source so knuckleheads come up with all sorts of malicious tweaks. Since everyone is paranoid about a board hack they are constantly updating the software and running into problems after the update or tweaking. Best thing to do is leave it alone, back up the database and reload the message board if its hacked. I update the hilltoppers message board by changing the source code instead of reloading an update. Seems to have worked for me so far.

The last time we got hacked a few months ago, it was because we were running an old version.

phpBB has bugs.  Surely there are more stable software available.  I just don't know what they are.  Also, would still be nice to find something with a built-in chat module.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009

Anonymous

Quote from: "Richie Wohlers"

The last time we got hacked a few months ago, it was because we were running an old version.

phpBB has bugs.  Surely there are more stable software available.  I just don't know what they are.  Also, would still be nice to find something with a built-in chat module.

I know, but we did not loose any data, only a file was change. A year ago xen had to start from scratch while messing with the board, he lost all of the data. This most recent update only needed two snippets of code changed, a simple cut and past and your done. With a paid message board you will probably get automatic updates which is probably what we need but you are at the mercy of their programmers, servers, and pricing structure. Do you know of any decent software?

Richie Wohlers

Quote from: "Anonymous"Do you know of any decent software?

Nope.  That's a problem.  I guess I should keep my eyes peeled.  Some of the good ones would probably even be able to use our message and user databases, so we wouldn't lose anything.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009