VCMC Qualifier......

Started by Ryan Romero, May 10, 2011, 12:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Romero

Going to VCMC this weekend to help on Sat and ride on Sun.  So the question is... what day do I bring the "barley pops?"
early parenthood is like being on suicide watch for a tiny insane person

Greg Meyers

Quote from: Ryan Romero on May 10, 2011, 12:06:52 PM
Going to VCMC this weekend to help on Sat and ride on Sun.  So the question is... what day do I bring the "barley pops?"
Both  ;)   :o
Greg,
Ref. 2010-2011
Prez. 2012-2015, 2020-2023
Newest Member of The Ex-President's Club!!!

Richie Wohlers

Everybody: Don't forget to bring some beverages and snacks that you can carry to your check.  You will probably be at your check location for about 4 hours.  I expect the temp to be in the mid 70's on Saturday.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009
Prez. 2007-2011 (Then road cross worker for life)

Richie Wohlers

Well, how did you guys like it?  The reviews on the D37 board make it sound like a great course.

I was just worn out after Saturday, and didn't have any interest in riding on Sunday, or even getting up early to help VCMC.
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009

BUS

VCMC

Well, to start...I haven't had this much fun on a motorcycle, ever, no joke.
I arrived on Saturday morning, got suited up and worked a check with Jeff Heine and Ryan Romero (prospect).  The check was really fun, and we even moved out 3rd loop to a nice little downhill towards the end of the minute to try and catch some riders off guard, I think it worked well.  Great work to all involved; I think the family enduros could be a lot of fun especially since I have two little ones at home eager to get on dirt bikes.

After the family enduro,  I searched the campsite for muffler packing since KGB's RM wouldn't pass sound, I think that this was the case with many racers.  We came up with a combination of scotch-bright pads and left-over packing to get him through sound test in the morning.  KGB and family were gracious enough to let me crash out in their camper.  It was great, awesome food and company.

The race was outstanding, mostly because of the terrain being dusted with overnight rain.  The race started on the MX track, which was nice and bermy leading into a WORCS type s-curves through the manzanita and scrub.  Figured I'd sum up everything with a top 10 list.  I will post a video once I'm done editing it; I have about 10GB of video to go through.
Race top 10:

10. Crashing numerous times in a 2-mile long (seemed like) rocky creek-bed
9.  Ryan toppling over the bars trying to cross a washed-out creek bed.
8.  Getting schooled by Kendal Norman when he started behind me in a special... "you're my rabbit"
7.  Last special test on the first loop, great section through a sand wash with nice, smooth transitioning curves.
6.  KGBs pork ribs…
5.  Ringing out the 125 on the straightaways…must have topped out at 45.
4.  Single-track section on top of the ridge-line overlooking I-5, I was scared.
3.  After the first special test, Ryan Romero scared a deer out of the trees and towards KGB and I headed up the trail
2.  The second special test on the first loop through the trees…great section and no dust. 
1.  Getting through the last tight, washed-out, squirrely cracked earth section, so pumped up I dumped the clutch afterwards and shot dirt on the course workers…not cool.  I went over and apologized and we had a laugh about it…good sports for sure. 

BUS

Richie Wohlers

Quote from: BUS on May 16, 2011, 10:27:20 AM
5.  Ringing out the 125 on the straightaways…must have topped out at 45.

LOL!
Richie,
Referee 2002-2009

Rich Wohlers

Sounds like all had a great time on Sunday. Pretty nice of VCMC to order the rain.
Rich Wohlers